Linux – PHP – Apache – HTTP Error 500
Had a weird issue where my demo server was throwing 500 error when a request was made. I spent time digging into my nginx configs to see if there were a issue, once I was able to determine it was not nginx, I started tearing apart my apache vhosts to see what the issue was. It was tough to track down because neither nginx nor apache error logs were logging anything out of the ordinary.
I came across a serverfault.com post where someone suggested using the following command after making a request:
find /var/log/ -mmin -1
This command will return any files whose modtimes are less than a minute old. When I issued the command I noticed that my PHP error log was listed, so I tailed the error log and issued another request. Sure enough, an exception was being thrown because my bootstrap file for my core library could not make a needed database connection.
Now that I was aware that an exception was causing my apache server to issue a 500 response, I still couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t outputting the exception message. I started digging around my php.ini file and found that I had set `display_errors=off`. With display_errors set to off, apache will issue a 500 response rather than output the exception, which is a good thing b/c the exception message had some database connection information.
So if you are setting up an apache/php server and it’s throwing a 500 response, check the php error log too, you may have the same setup.
Also, I read that this type of behavior will occur if the php.ini file could not be read.
- virsh – Refusing to undefine while domain managed save image exists
- Git – Revert Multiple Locally Changed Files
- Linux – SELinux – SEModule – Compile .pp module from .te file
- PHP – Doctrine – Soft Delete – Multiple Rows at a Time
- PHP – Doctrine – DQL – Select Subquery
- Symfony – Share Template Across Multiple Apps
- Linux – Using Curl to Test Response Headers
- PHP – ZipArchive – 5.3.x – Weird Issue when Unlinking a File Just Added to Archive
- PHP – Symfony – Speed up CLI Commands – Do Not Load Web Plugins
- PHP – Symfony – Build Model – No yml schema found